Monday, March 10, 2014

Discipline & Commitment

If I could sum up all of what I'm learning so far this year in two words, those two words would be discipline and commitment.

These are not my favorite words in the English language. Discipline carries with it such a negative connotation. A synonym that comes to mind is punishment. And who would love a word that makes you think of punishment?

Commitment, on the other hand, could be romantic if you're into that kind of thing. But for me, right now, the only image that I can muster up for commitment is the old ball and chain. Sort of like confinement. A threat to my freedom.

So here we have discipline and commitment; punishment and confinement. And these are the two characteristics that God wants to develop in me. With the frequency in which these words have been coming up, it would seem God wants to me fall in love with these things; to become a walking model of all that is commitment and discipline.

Le sigh.

I could complain. And I probably will. But I will submit to this refinement process. Why? Because an insane person continues in the same patterns expecting different results. And while I can be a bit cray, I'm not THAT cray. I have dreams and goals. I have deadlines and no time to waste. And I can't just live my life on a whim hoping to one day reach the stars. Nope.

I must be disciplined and committed.
I must commit myself to my nutrition plan and be disciplined in my eating and fitness habits.

I must commit myself to my study schedule and be disciplined in how I spend my time.

I must commit myself to my new financial budget and be disciplined in my spending.

Of course I'd love to just be able to eat all the Cherry Garcia ice cream I want. And sure I'd love to stay up watching House instead of responding to discussion questions. And yes I want to be free to spend my money on clothes instead of paying my bills or saving for rainy days.

But... isn't that what I've been doing? And what are the results?

Change isn't easy. But it's the only constant thing in this life. I might as well get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment